11 March 2012

An Altered Box, part one





 I set a monthly challenge on UKStampers and this is my almost too late entry for the challenge. The challenge was to create a piece of art in any format, use an image transfer somewhere on the piece, use a favourite stamp in a new way no red or hearts as I am the grinch of Valentine's day.
The idea behind the challenge is to try out new techniques and I have had all sorts of problems experimenting with image transfers as you can see here. In the end I used large photocopies of feathers I found on Graphics Fairy. I added layers of Golden acrylic gel medium in different directions and then soaked the paper and rubbed off the back. It leaves a transparent flexible image.
I began with this box from Molton and Brown which I added three layers of gesso to.
I then used TH text stamps from the Shabby French collection and stamped them randomly over each other - blue side used broken china, evergreen bough and faded jeans, orange side was spiced marmalade, worn lipstick and fired brick. 
I promptly forgot that Distress inks react with water and applied the feather over the stamping with acrylic gel. Cue smudged inks and major swearing. I then decided I could use this even more distressed look. I added more stamps on top and an other layer of gel. I also added some stazon and versamark inks that would not smudge.
The butterflies and dragonflies were image transfer feathers onto double side paperartsy tape and metal. I stamped on the metal and then embossed with metal tools and cut out. I also added some more alcohol inks.
 This was using stamps in a new way but I wanted to try something else. I had read a post from Annepat on the forum who said you could use hot glue, versamark, vaseline and stamps. The dragonfly and square stamp that holds the ribbon come from those experiments.
 I will post separately about those experiments as there would be too many pictures. I lined the box with adhesive back blue and green felt and used turquoise seam binding to make the tab ribbon and edge the box.



9 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous. And it's interesting to the different techniques you incorporated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very impressed with your image transfers! I think I'll have go at doing one your way.

    Thank you for leaving a nice comment on my blog, about my Gothic Arch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is a wonderful box. I love all the texture :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A simply breathtaking box, such fab transfers !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great, love the feather images you chose for your transfers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so clever - I too have trouble with image transfers - I am not as brave as you doing it directly onto a box - but I might find the courage to have a go now that I have seen how you did it

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely box so pretty, really must try image transfer the results I've seen are always so effective!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful box - the image transfer has worked wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete