After cutting out all the pieces I realised due to the fraying on the denim wings blanket stitching two pieces together would work better. I need to work on this stitch as it is a little wobbly.
I did not have any bakers twine to wrap round the cushion so threaded a large scrapping needle with ribbon to create a similar effect.
The beak is a piece of foam and the ric rac crest evolved to hide some of my uneven areas and to make it easier to stuff the bird through the head.
He is a little different from the original and my sewing needs work but I love him and now don't want to give him to my quilting mother in law. I think I have caught the bug and went out and found some felt today and I have drawn a pattern for a mouse on cheese pin cushion which will be next and I have plans for an aviary of birds...
I have entered this in the Just for Fun Challenge Blog - check out the inspiring ideas and creations here.