22 August 2010

Playing with paint, paper and junque journals - work in progress

Sea Fever

Junque/Inspiration Journal page
After I finished the digi layout yesterday morning I was going to do another as at present I am feeling overwhelmed by the sheer number of photos I have. Then I remembered that I do this for fun and if I think it becomes a chore it ceases to be fun. I looked up and saw my abandoned junque journal and decided to do a page. So painted on several layers of acrylic paint and then I doodled with the pva and added beads taken from a broken bracelet. It reminded me of the sea and the poem "Sea Fever" by John Masefield so I added a few lines from that and a title torn from an old dictionary. I misted it with glimmer mists. At this point when the paint was wet it looked wonderful but lost some of the vibrancy when dry but I still kind of like it.
Experimental background paper using junque techniques
Background two - but now heading towards my sunflower moments
Inspired by this I created two 12x12 background papers using the white card that comes inside pva sleeves. I used the same techniques - painting with acrylics and then doodling pva lines on, misting with glimmer mists and lifting up to see the colour run. Watch this space for the layouts I make from these. Finally I decided to try painting on acrylic sheets and looking out my window I saw the sunflowers so painted one free hand. I really like it but not sure what to do with it. I think I might make a collage picture as a present or maybe I'll just tape it to my window.
Against my window
Overlays

Here is the poem. It is special to me as it reminds me of my dad who was always happiest when sailing around the West Coast of Scotland.

Sea Fever
I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way, where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.


John Masefield

No comments:

Post a Comment