9 May 2012

First ever quilt in progress

If you pop in here from time to time you will know that I have been wanting to create a quilt and extend my beginner sewing skills. I bought a book called "Jelly Roll Quilts" by Pam & Nicky Lintott and a jelly roll of Japanese Taupe fabrics, a cutting mat, rotary cutter and ruler...

I carefully cut the strips and sewed and cut and even did a little chain piecing (sort of worked...) until I finally had 40 blocks. Lens Guy and youngest daughter then got involved and helped decide the layout of the blocks and I began to sew rows together.
 I still have the last three rows to sew on and if you don't examine too closely it lines up pretty well for my first attempt. I have a solid grey border and a deep red binding but before I get to bind I need to quilt and I need to buy a walking foot for the machine. I can see quilts getting to a certain point and then I chicken out of the quilting.My next project will be a granny square quilt for my niece. My Mother in Law is the one that has got me interested in quilting and this is her first ever quilt she made for youngest daughter.
I love the one she made below for eldest daughter which has a temporary home here whilst she is living in Singapore but I think the silky material and appliqued hearts drove poor MIL mad.


If you popped by looking for art journalling I have been busy but the pages are not for sharing as I have been having some dark days.
I'm linking this to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced where I go for my weekly fixes of inspiration.

9 comments:

  1. That's fab.... I suspect it will be the first of many!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lookin' good! and looks like a lot of hard work - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great quilt - and only your first. Don't chicken out, I'm sure the quilting will be fine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your patchwork looks great! I'm looking forward to seeing it all finished.

    Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog, it is much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's looking great, love the slightly rustic feel of the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is coming along beautifully!! You wont be able to stop at one quilt, it's too much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt is beautifully put together, and definitely worth putting the effort into quilting. I hope you will share it with us when you've finished. Of course you'll be wanting to start another...and another ... :-))

    ReplyDelete
  8. That silky material would be my ticket to the loony bin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sally. The quilt looks amazing. Love the colours. Would not have been able to cope with the silky material!
    Regards Florence xx

    ReplyDelete