15 January 2012

Wall hanging

I am setting a monthly challenge on UKStampers hereThe challenge for this month open until 11th of February is to..."Use Metal, Material from old clothes, tissue and stamps to create a wall hanging. As is it January and it's a long time until payday you can't buy anything new - existing stash only."This is what I began with.
I always have a huge amount of jotters to carry to an from school and I had been using an M&S canvas bag featuring twiggy until it developed a huge hole in the bottom. I have used on side of the bag to form the top of my inking apron (more of that another day) and decided to use a piece of this and because it is such an iconic face to to use the Face but the mouth was a victim of the bag breaking. I had recieved an Art From the Heart parcel recently so used the red tissue paper from that to recreate her hair with texture and give her a more modern haircut.
I then decided to paint all over it with gesso as I wanted to change the colour...
As part of my Christmas money spending I had bought the Paper Artsy Grunge flower die and the Hot Pick HPXT02, partly because at some time in the past I had bought some metal and had no idea what to with it. I later discovered I should have brought tape and stuff too but improvised.
I cut out out the flowers and stamped them with purple stazon and then decided I wanted to add alcohol inks but forgot about mixing stazon and inks. The flowers looked great but I removed most of the stamping. This is one of the flowers I made using the silver but in the end decided copper tones would  work better. Daughter wants this as a brooch.
I then took Claudine Helmuths dotty stamp from the domestic set and stamped a blue Dylusion background that I highlighted with black posca pen. I applied pink and purple dylusions to the hair with my fingers and then painted on some very scary eyes. I wanted to change the face and make her something else which she certainly is - a little scary I think. Daughter came in and asked if she could have the hanging for her room as seems to be delighted with it. Here is the bronze flower.
I punched holes and set eyelets with the cropodile and then used some of the idealogy chain I won for entering a Tim Challenge on UKstampers. If you would like to enter the challenge (which is monthly) please pop over to UKStampers, it is just for fun and no prizes but already some of the pieces in the gallery are fab.


  1. This is really clever and so effective

  2. Really striking - and who would know it was Twiggy now. Fab!

  3. Fab hanging - love the way you used what was on the bag as the starting point and your metal flower looks great (so does the bronze-toned one)!

  4. Love what you've done - the metal flower is fab!

  5. This is fab - what a great way to reuse your bag. [I use the same one to carry my files to work too!].
    Thanks for hosting the challenge - mine will be up soon.

  6. I just love this piece. Can't stop looking at it.

  7. How cool, your hanging looks fabulous.

  8. What a great challenge and the wall hanging is fantastic

  9. Sorry it's taken so long to get back to your blog and thanks for popping by mine. I always love visiting your blog and looking at your creations, they're stunning, I wish I had more time to explore this style more. I think the wall hanging is amazing. I look forward to seeing what else you have been up to.