12 October 2011

JFF Altered Tin

This time the Just For Fun challenge was set by Von  and her challenge was to recycle book pages or magazines so I decided to use an old copy of Living Etc magazine to alter a tin - to hold pens in. I used Dylusions and Tim Holtz stamps and mixed them up to create figures. I cut out images from the magazine to create furniture and splodged a lot of mod podge around. Yet again apologies for evening photos...I began by layering white gesso on the coffee tin. I then stamped the image above onto dictionary paper - in two sections and coloured with pro markers and stuck it on. I began to build up images using other stamps but for these ones I decided to stamp directly onto magazine pages to colour and create the image.
She has a dylusions head and legs and a dress I cut out for her with a sofa and cushions collaged behind. I liked an orange chair for the vibrant colour but added TH birds to perch on it.
This one's face was on a very dark image  stamped on top of a photo of black kitchen units and the body was over a garden image. There is a chandelier cut out behind her and more of the cushions and couches.
My big mistake was applying my stamped and collaged images t to the white gesso as I had gaps and wanted a different colour as a background. It was a bit fiddly to paint around images.
 Late last night I mixed a little pink acrylic paint with mod podge - but this morning I realised it was a little brighter than intended.
The final colour was green acrylic paint and mod podge. The finish is really interesting and layered but I don't think the evening photos show this. The umbrella was stamped over a two tone piece of magazine.
Apologies for showing another tin - my glitter tin was my first altered item and this is my second, I think the third one might be more embellishment heavy but as I pick up and move these tins all the time they need to be sturdy to withstand my careless handling. I quite liked using the magazine images to "colour" my stamps as the effects were often not what I expected.







8 comments:

  1. Hi Sally. Wow! Brilliant altered tin. Really love the effects you have created.
    Regards Florence x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous tin great use of magazine pages. Thank you for sharing with us at Just for Fun XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic altered tin and it will be really useful as well. A Very clever idea. Hugs Sandra XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great use of the magazine pages, fab tin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your use of the magazines for stamping on, a great mixed media piece :)and thank you for sharing it with us at JFF
    Von xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Absolutely love it! My kind of thing! Check out my blog for kitchen recycling and you will see a similarity. Thanks for joining us at JFF - Hugs Neet x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see you are in an altering frame of mind ! Another piece of fabulousness , amazing colours and images.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete